Monday, February 22, 2021

The Archive Series: Ian Anderson - September 1995


 

Ian Anderson: Making the Rules and Breaking the Rules

No one could ever accuse Ian Anderson of being at a loss for words. As one of rock music’s most articulate spokesmen, Anderson has never hesitated to speak his mind both powerfully and lyrically. His innate intelligence and wit, not to mention an extremely musical mind, is the backbone of Jethro Tull, whose eclectic sound remains unduplicated by any “son of” band to this day. Anderson has grown older gracefully and is known not only as one of rock’s elder statesmen, but also as a highly successful businessman in Great Britain.

With more than a quarter century at the helm of Jethro Tull, Anderson has seen a lot of things come and go in the music business, and with time comes perspective. As economics have come to play an even greater role in the music business, many artists never miss the chance to spew bile when discussing the industry. Not Anderson. “Well, it’s a two-edged sword,” he counters. “I think, on the one hand, it’s good for the record industry that it has become very business-like, necessarily engaged with the realities of selling the product, so these days record companies tend not to be run by frivolous, flighty personalities like Richard Branson or Chris Blackwell; it tends to be run by hard and fast business-type people who understand the job they’re doing and understand the world that they’re working in. The downside, from the artist’s point of view, is that things do come down to dollars and cents. At the end of the day, not many artists are going to be encouraged to do things that don’t have an obvious payoff. I still feel that the bleating, the moaning, the self-pitying of people like George Michael are to be deplored, because the bottom line is that there are record companies out there who will make the effort if they believe in the artist if the artist gives them the sense of wanting to believe in them. But if you go about your business with the sort of precious sense of, ‘I am the pop star. I’m gonna do what I like and I’d also like a $20 million advance, by the way, before I give you a record,’ you can’t really expect too much in the way of sympathy or, ultimately, respect if you don’t deliver the goods. My feeling is that you just have to understand that from the artist’s point of view, it’s too easy to blame the record company and from the record company’s point of view, it’s too easy to follow the lure of the greenback dollar. But the mold is broken from time to time, and the mold is broken happily, because out of it comes music that I think we’re all delighted to hear, which we all recognize breaks the rules and, almost in spite of itself, happens to appeal to a lot of people.”

Regarding the current state of musical affairs, Anderson looks westward across the Atlantic and sees interesting things afoot, singling out Pearl Jam and Soundgarden for special praise. “I’m beginning to get that feeling from some of the newest bands, who are mostly of North American origin, not British. I am not enamored of the current state of UK pop and rock music, which I think is insular, very inbred, and rather precious. It doesn’t really have the earthiness of a lot of the American bands at the moment. American music, once in a while, shows us all the way.”

A conversation with Anderson brings with it a great deal of insight, candor, self-deprecating wit and, perhaps more than anything, the feeling of one who is still very much inspired to make music to maintain a creative edge.

With the recent release of his solo instrumental album, Divinities: Twelve Dances With God (Angel), the feeling is proven correct. As the album title suggests, the work consists of 12 separate musical pieces, each focused upon one of the world’s religions, both current and primitive, yet working together to form a cohesive whole. This religious theme has found its way into much of Anderson’s work; thinking back to the incendiary lyrics of “My God” and “Wind Up,” I wondered if Anderson’s religious perspective had undergone a mellowing metamorphosis.

“Well, I don’t think it’s really changed fundamentally,” he said. “It’s become a bit more refined, a bit broader in terms of the detail and the awareness of religion in its broadest sense. I think the main difference (with the new album) is I’m trying to focus on the ‘up’ side of religion in the way in which it represents (to me) something very unifying. There’s a unifying thing about religious belief that we can all benefit from. I don’t think that anyone could argue that the God of Islam, the God of Judaism, and the God of Christianity are different. We’re all dating the same gal! That’s something that would do so much good for us to teach our children. On Aqualung I was being a little negative about the aspects of dogma and ritual as they affect religion, primarily in terms of Catholicism. Here I’m trying to look at the positive side; I see (Catholicism) as something that makes Italian footballers burst into tears on their mother’s birthday.”

The origin of Divinities is an interesting story in itself. It seems that Anderson had been putting off overtures from Angel Records, EMI’s classical division, who had requested to meet with the artist to discuss a project they had in mind. Anderson takes it from here. “I put if off for about six months, then eventually went to explain to then this sort of thing was not what I thought they had in mind. Indeed, they didn’t want to do ‘Jethro Tull Meets the London Symphony’ nor did they want Ian Anderson to attempt the impossible, which is playing the flute to the melodies of Mozart. They wanted me tow rite some music with the flute as the main instrumental voice, but for other orchestral instruments (as well). I’m choosing these words carefully to avoid suggesting that they wanted me to make a classical record. It made me a little nervous because it wasn’t something I thought I had the skill to do.”

Elaborating further while getting in a sly last word, Anderson explained, “I’m just an amateur fooling at it; there are probably a bunch of second-year college students at the Royal Academy of Music in London who could wipe the floor with me in terms of orchestration and music writing, but they don’t have a record deal and I do!”

© Roy Abrams 2021

Originally published in The Music Paper, September 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment