Monday, February 15, 2021

The Archive Series: Robbie Robertson - November 1994

Meeting Robbie Robertson was a fascinating experience. Read and enjoy!



Robbie Robertson is hailed by critics, fans, and his fellow songwriters as the man primarily responsible for creating the vision of The Band, certainly among the most influential groups that ever existed. Robertson’s magic lay in his ability to capture the essence of the American spirit and character, filtered through his Canadian background; an outsider looking in. On his newest project, Music for the Native Americans, Robertson has gone in the opposite direction. Looking inward to his own Native American roots (he’s part Mohawk), Robertson, along with a stellar cast of Native American musicians collectively known as The Red Road Ensemble, has released the most inspired work since his days with The Band. During a recent conversation, Robertson was very clearly a man satisfied with the results, and more than eager to discuss it.

Roy Abrams: It must have been fairly revelatory, to say the least, for you to be exploring from within this time around.

Robbie Robertson: What the revelation was, and I didn’t know until we were actually doing it, that we’d be working on music, and I’d say, wait a minute, I’ve got an idea. And I would hum a melody or I would make a rhythm sound with my mouth or something and (the other musicians) would say, “Where did that come from? It sounds familiar to me.” And I’d say, it does, it sounds familiar to me … from when I was three years old, and I’m remembering things that were so packed down inside you that you don’t even remember actually where you took it from. It’s like going to a place that you’ve never been before; you get there and say, “Wait a minute, I know this place.” It was like that! This was something that, my whole life I’ve been gathering pieces for this project along the side of the road; it’s all been leading up to this, but you don’t know it until you get there.

RA: With all the various Native American musicians you worked with, were there any moments you felt as if you were receiving musical, if not downright spiritual, gifts?

RR: Hundreds of them! For instance, we’d be in the studio , and the women would be lighting sweetgrass and kind of purifying themselves, purifying the atmosphere; just trying to set it up so you can get in the zone, you know what I mean? (So) there isn’t a bunch of crap between you and that place that you want to reach; a direct line into your soul, I guess. It was giving me chills, the ritual of preparation , and the song hadn’t even begun yet. I had never seen this in the studio before, and I’ve been in the studio a lot.

RA: I hear a nod toward Daniel Lanois and Peter Gabriel on several tracks regarding arrangement and production. You’ve worked with both men in the past. To what degree have they influenced you?

RR: The “soundiness,” yeah. Well, there’s two things. I think that Daniel and Peter are both incredibly talented people. I’ve known Peter for quite a few years now, longer than I’ve known Daniel, actually, but this was not my introduction to this. My introduction was doing music for film, working with Martin Scorsese. This “soundiness”──I don’t know what to call it──is also a Canadian thing. If you listen to records by Jane Siberry, the Cowboy Junkies, Joni Mitchell’s new record … I don’t know why, but it’s something that appeals to the peoples’ ear up there. That’s where it comes from for me, and Daniel is into this too, not because of Peter Gabriel or because of Brian Eno, (but) because of something in his background in Canada. It’s an odd thing. Not that many people know this connection.

RA: Two of your children appear on the record. Has their involvement deepened their awareness of their heritage? Also, how was it for Dad working with the kids?

RR: They’ve been hearing all their lives, from my mother, these stories, passing on traditions and stuff like that, what it was like when she was growing up, so they always had this input. For once, they had the opportunity to give something back. Because the nature of this project was so communal, the idea of involving some people in my family seemed as natural as taking a drink of water. It really felt like the right thing to do. For me, it was lovely, being able to have that connection.

RA: Who among the newer artists piques your interest, and how do you view the current state of musical affairs?

RR: I like some of the things that Trent Reznor does. I like the idea that he’s experimenting, that he’s trying things. [Pause] Sometimes anger for the sake of anger I find slightly repelling, but I think that that’s part of the idea. And it’s always been this way. People in their twenties──I don’t know how old these guys are in these groups──have this need for rebellion, and because nobody knows what they’re rebelling against, it just becomes anger for the sake of anger, and I get a little tired of that, but it’s just because I’m not in my twenties anymore, so I don’t have as big a use for what they’re getting at. I’m sure a lot of people who are completely in parallel with them think, “Yeah! Let’s smash some glass or listen to this music──whatever strikes us first.” But I think there’s some validity in their music. There’s a lot of new things out that I really like today, but very rarely do I hear a whole record that I like. I hear a few cuts that I like. That seems to be the major difference between now and what this music was at some paramount, in the late ‘60s or early ‘70s, when there was just so much good shit going on, like Stax, all the stuff that was coming in from England, Van Morrison, Dylan, The Band, Jimi Hendrix. It was like, “God, I’d better come up with something!” It was a very inspired period, and there’s no explanation for this, except that it was the voice of a generation, and people were very united. Now, it’s very dispersed.

RA: Speaking of inspiration, making the new album must have been quite an inspiring, and galvanizing, experience for you.

RR: Yeah, it has. In 1994, it’s pretty silly to say, “Oh, Indians? They’re just supposed to play drums and flutes, aren’t they?” Things have evolved, whether anybody’s noticed or not. One of the main reasons I wanted to make this record was to say (that) something’s been going on all these years, and there’s an evolution in the Native American community, and nobody’s aware of it. I’m really enjoying the idea of ripping down this curtain and saying, “Check it out──it’s not what you thought.”

RA: Would you ever consider something along the lines of what Peter Gabriel has done with WOMAD?

RR: It’s come up. There’s talk of this right now. In this situation, it’s a bit delicate. It’s not about “let’s take this baby on the road.” I’d love for people to be able to see what I’ve experienced. There’s nothing more you can ask out of music than when it just gives you chills. That’s the reason for doing it; that means it’s making an emotional connection to you. It’s the whole reason that I care about music; it’s why I got into at the very beginning.

© Roy Abrams 2021

Originally published in The Island-Ear, January 30-February 12, 1995 issue


No comments:

Post a Comment